Richmond Home

Get Help Abroad

Survivors of sexual misconduct abroad also have access the support and resources they need. Here are several ways to ensure the recovery and support of survivors abroad.

Contact the University of Richmond

Contact the Office of International Education (OIE) at (804) 287-6316,, or your UR study abroad advisor directly. If no one is available or if it is after hours, call the University of Richmond Police Department (URPD) collect at (804) 289-8715.  They will take your name and phone number and call an OIE staff member. An OIE staff member will contact you to offer assistance. As a Responsible Employee, the OIE staff member must notify the Title IX Coordinator who is available and trained to help you while abroad and upon return to campus.

The U.S. Consulate

Contact the U.S. consulate and ask to talk to the warden (or emergency officer) on call. They are available to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Department of State website explains how to get help. Your emergency card provided to you by the Office of International Education (semester abroad students only) has the telephone contact number of the nearest U.S. consulate. When you call the consulate, they will ask your name and a number where you can be reached. The consulate officer on duty will return your call quickly. In addition, you may be contacted by the Regional Security Officer at the embassy as well as a representative of the Overseas Citizen Services. They will help you with medical, legal and other advice. They will not require you to make a police report, but will help you do so if you wish to take legal action. You can ask someone from the consulate to accompany you to a medical exam and to help you make a police report. If you want a parent or another family member to talk to the U.S. consulate to help you, then you will need to sign or give a verbal privacy waiver. They will only communicate with this individual about your situation.

Health/Travel Insurance Abroad

AXA Travel Assistance is the assistance provider for the Chubb insurance policy that covers UR study abroad participants. AXA will help you identify counseling and medical services where you are located. Students who are a survivor of rape or attempted rape may have a family member (as defined by the policy) fly to assist them through the Emergency Reunion Benefit. Covered expenses for this benefit include a round trip, economy class ticket, and other travel related expenses. The family member's travel must take place within 7 days of the occurrence of the assault. Note that there must be an official report filed with the local police authorities or with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. When you call, they will ask for your name, date of birth, policy number (on your card, GLMN11230337). Identify yourself as a University of Richmond student. They will give you a case number and then ask for your phone number and email so they can forward you information and check on how you are doing.

Emergency Response Center, Assistance Services

Call collect 24 hours, 7 days per week. Direct line: 1-312-935-1755 Benefits for medical treatment due to the assault are covered at 100 percent up to the policy maximum of $500,000. See more details of coverage on the study abroad health insurance webpage.

Additional Resources for Help If Outside the U.S.