Richmond Home

How Can I Get Help?

Please get medical help as soon as possible. Survivors’ mental and physical health, safety and protection are very important to us, and there are a range of supportive services available.

In case of an emergency, call 911 or University Police at 804-289-8911.

For all other after hours, time-sensitive concerns, call 804-289-8715 to speak with a URPD dispatcher who can connect you to the Area Coordinator on duty.

Call the Greater Richmond Regional Hotline at 804-612-6126 at any time to reach a confidential advocate.

***All of the above options are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week.***

Immediate Care

Get to a safe place as soon as you can.

Try to preserve all physical evidence.  Do not wash clothes or use the toilet.  Put all clothing you were wearing at the time of the incident in a paper bag, not in a plastic bag.

Contact University Police by calling 8911 (from a campus phone) or (804) 289-8911. On campus, a blue light emergency phone will connect you directly to the University Police dispatcher.

Get medical attention as soon as possible.  A medical examination will provide any necessary treatment and collect important evidence. Injuries may not be immediately apparent. It is important to seek immediate and follow-up medical attention for several reasons:

  • To assess and treat any physical injuries you may have sustained.
  • To determine the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and/or pregnancy and take appropriate medical measures.
  • To gather evidence that may aid criminal prosecution. Physical evidence should be collected immediately—ideally within the first 24 hours. It can be collected up to 120 hours following an assault, but the quality and quantity of evidence may be diminished. Evidence collected by a qualified nurse will be preserved indefinitely, and turned over to law enforcement only if and when the survivor chooses.

 A special hospital exam (PERK: Physical Evidence Recovery Kit) should be performed by an emergency department.  University students can receive the exam at St. Mary's Hospital or Virginia Commonwealth University Health System.  The hospital emergency departments follow national standards for survivor care, sexual assault exams, and evidence collection procedures.  If you are concerned about anonymity or your parents being notified, hospital personnel can talk with you about your options.  Should you choose, you can remain anonymous in order to report and receive care—just inform the triage nurse of your request for anonymity upon your arrival to an emergency room.  There are many resources available to survivors that may assist with PERK exam costs, and medical personnel will give you more information.  At the hospital, you may choose to undergo a PERK exam even if you are unsure whether you want to report the sexual misconduct to the police and want time to think about it.  If you choose to report anonymously, hospital authorities will collect the evidence without revealing your identity to the authorities.  The evidence will be held for two years before being discarded, and you would need to contact the storage facility for an extension beyond that point.  The forensic nurses can speak with you further about your options.

The University Police are always available to transport victims of sexual misconduct to the hospital.  To arrange transportation, call the University Police dispatcher at (804) 289-8715 and indicate your need for immediate assistance.

Even if you choose not to have a hospital exam, it is still important to get medical attention.  An exam, in these instances, will include treatment of any physical problems and lab tests for sexually transmitted diseases and/or pregnancy. The Student Health Center can assist with injuries, preventative treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, and other health services.

At Any Time

Consider making a formal report

You are encouraged to report what happened to the Title IX Coordinator and/or URPD. Keep in mind that there are differences in reporting to Title IX and filing criminal charges. You can select the reporting option that you are most comfortable with. Remember, it’s important to report what you have experienced.

Retaliation against any person for making a report or participating in an investigation is strictly prohibited. 

You do not have to make a formal report or press charges to receive medical care, academic or other support. You can also make a report without any further participation in any investigation. 

You can file an online report or contact the University's Title IX Coordinator for Students:

Tracy Cassalia
Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students
Puryear Hall, Suite 101