Richmond Home

I have experienced an incident of sexual misconduct. What should I do? 

The University of Richmond is committed to providing you support, assisting you with accommodations and connecting you to campus and community resources. We understand that you maybe unsure about what you want to do right now.

Do you need medical attention?

It is important to get medical attention as soon as possible. A medical examination will provide any necessary treatment and collect any evidence. Injuries may not be immediately apparent. If you have experienced sexual assault, there are specific procedures you can follow to preserve evidence including receiving a Physical Evidence Recover Kit (PERK) at St. Mary’s Hospital. DNA evidence generally needs to be collected within 120 hours. It is recommended that you do not bathe, washing clothes or bedding or brush your teeth to preserve evidence. All clothing and bedding should be placed in a paper bag.  

Need help getting to St. Mary’s Hospital? URPD can assist with transportation. There is no cost associated with obtaining a PERK and you do not need to file charges to obtain a PERK. You can remain anonymous, although that can limit what is done with the PERK.

Are you looking for a confidential conversation?

You can discuss an incident of sexual misconduct, on a confidential basis, with any licensed health care professional in the University’s Counseling and Psychological Services (“CAPS”) or in the University’s Student Health Center or with the University’s ordained personnel in the Chaplaincy. Your name will not be reported to Title IX Coordinator or the University of Richmond Police Department without your consent. More information on confidential campus resources can be found here.

There are a number of off-campus, confidential resources as well, including the Richmond Regional Hotline, Safe Harbor, and the Virginia Anti-Violence Project. More in- formation about off-campus, confidential resources can be found here.

Do you want to file a report?

The University of Richmond strongly supports and encourages prompt reporting of sexual misconduct. Reporting provides resources to survivors and contributes to keeping the campus safe.

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual misconduct, you should report incident(s) to the University's Title IX Coordinator and to the University Police Department. Instances of sexual misconduct may violate both the University's sexual misconduct policy and the law. As a result, the University encourages survivors to pursue their complaints through both the University's process for sexual misconduct and through the criminal justice system.

File a Report to Title IX

You can file a report with the Title IX Coordinator. You do not have to make a formal report to receive medical care, academic or other support. You can make a report without any further participation in any investigation.

File a Report with URPD

Sexual Assault and some other forms of sexual misconduct are crimes, and can be reported to URPD for investigation. To report an incident of sexual misconduct to URPD please call 804-289-8911 (emergency) 804-289-8715 (non-emergency). For more information on reporting sexual misconduct to URPD, please visit the University of Richmond Police Department website.

What supportive measures are available to me?

The Title IX Coordinator will work with students who experience sexual misconduct to coordinate protective and interim measures (housing, academic, work, etc.), provide information about available resources, and explain the University policies on sexual misconduct and the University's complaint process.

Sometimes the University may impose temporary measures to stabilize the situation and support the individuals involved in the reports.  Interim remedial measures may be put in place on behalf of the complainant, the respondent, and/or witnesses in the investigation.  Remedial measures may also be implemented to prevent retaliation.  Requests for interim measures can be made whether or not you decide to file a complaint with the University or with the police. 

Some examples of interim measures are:  

  • No-contact orders (NCO) 
  • Modification of class schedules
  • Alternate housing arrangements
  • Academic modifications (such as paper extensions and alternative test dates)
  • Changing work schedules or job assignments
  • Restricting access to extra-curricular activities such as student clubs and organizations, if both complainant and respondent are members

Students seeking such assistance should speak to Tracy Cassalia, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students.