File a Report

The University of Richmond strongly supports and encourages prompt reporting of sexual misconduct. Reporting provides support and resources to survivors and contributes to keeping the campus safe.

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual misconduct, you should report the incident(s) to the University's Title IX Coordinator and to the University Police Department. Instances of sexual misconduct may violate both the University's Policy Prohibiting Sexual Misconduct and the law.

Unless designated as a confidential resource, all Responsible Employees are required to report incidents of possible sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinators and those employees designated as Campus Security Authorities must also report to the University Police.

To file a Title IX Report, click here.

To file a police report, call URPD at 804-289-8911.

To file a report of discrimination or harassment, click here.

Expand All
  • File a Title IX Report

    All reports made to the University are taken with the utmost seriousness. Reporting incidents allows the University to respond in an effort to stop such misconduct, take reasonable steps to prevent a recurrence of such misconduct, and address any effect that such misconduct may have on the larger University community. You do not have to make a formal complaint to receive medical care, academic accommodations, or other support. You can make a report without any further participation.

    In an emergency, please contact the University of Richmond Police Department, 24 hours a day, at 8911 (from on-campus phones) or (804) 289-8911 (from cell phones or off-campus phones).

    You can file an online report here.

    Student may file an anonymously. Faculty and staff must provide their name.

  • File a report with URPD

    University of Richmond encourages prompt reporting to law enforcement consistent with the survivor’s wishes. The University of Richmond Police Department (URPD) is a Safe Zone Ally and the primary law enforcement agency to investigate all criminal offenses that occur on campus.

    If at any time, you feel threatened or are in immediate harm on campus call the URPD at 289-8911. If off campus, call 911 for immediate assistance.

    If a victim calls URPD at 804-289-8715, they can request to speak or meet with one of our detectives regarding options within the criminal justice system. URPD recommends that any survivor of sexual violence contact and meet with a detective and an advocate of your choice to discuss your situation and resources that the criminal justice system can provide. All of URPD detectives are trained in trauma informed investigation applications. Following this meeting, a survivor is better informed on reporting options and rights as a survivor, and then may elect to make a formal police report which is a document of fact, not a commitment at this time, to move forward with the prosecution of the case.

    URPD investigates crimes committed on campus as defined by the Code of Virginia. Crimes of interpersonal violence include dating violence, stalking, domestic violence, and assault.

    Crimes of sexual violence range from sexual battery to rape. Each specific crime has a different statute of limitations, which can be explained to any victim by URPD. Policy definitions and the code of Virginia requirements for elements of a criminal prosecution may vary slightly due to the different processes.

    URPD will educate any community member on Virginia Protective Order requirements and provide any assistance necessary to include transportation to obtain one.

    URPD coordinates investigations with the Commonwealth Attorneys’ Office in the City of Richmond and Henrico County depending on the location of the incident.

    Where you can go for medical attention

    Within 5 days:

    • Mary’s Hospital 5801 Bremo Road, Richmond, Va.
      • Non-emergency (804) 281-8574
      • Emergency (804) 281-8184

    After 5 days:

    • Student Health Center, Special Programs Building, (804) 289-8700

    St. Mary’s provides a trained forensic nurse to conduct a physical evidence recovery kit (PERK) as well as assess your physical and emotional condition. A PERK is evidence collected to aid in the prosecution of a case if a survivor chooses to do so. It is provided at no cost, and the University of Richmond Police Department (URPD) can provide transportation.

    A survivor may request that the PERK be completed anonymously. If selected, the PERK is given a confidential number, shipped to the Virginia Division of Consolidated Labs, and stored for a minimum of two years. During that timeframe, a survivor may choose to report the incident to law enforcement and then that agency can retrieve the PERK. Currently, URPD will maintain a PERK for a minimum of 10 years, which could be extended.


    Successful prosecution or a finding in favor of a complainant is greatly enhanced with evidence collected at or near the time of the offense. Delayed reporting of sexual violence incidents occurs across the country regardless of where the incident may have occurred. There are many reasons that create delayed reporting. URPD is working to minimize certain reasons and our actions include:

    • URPD will collect and store any items of evidentiary value regardless if a victim has decided to make a formal report at the time of the evidence collection.
    • Items include clothing, sheets, and photographs of any injuries to include the neck region, photographs of the scene, and all e-messaging pre and post incident.
    • URPD will maintain all items for a minimum of 1 year or longer depending on the crime.
    • This protocol will aid the victim in future decisions.

    The following URPD officers are available for individual or group discussions related to sexual violence and our response to it.

    • Major Eric Beatty, 289-8723
    • Detective Angie Dubose, 289-8543
    • Detective Joe Goss, 287-6690
  • What is the difference between a report and a formal complaint?

    One common misconception about the reporting process is that making a report will automatically lead to a Title IX investigation. While a report can become a formal complaint, initiated by the Complainant or the University, not every report becomes a formal complaint.

    Making a report is the act of notifying the Title IX Coordinator of an incident of sexual misconduct. A report may be accompanied by a request for support, connection to resources, no further action, and/or to initiate the formal grievance process.

    Filling a formal complaint is making a request to initiate the University’s formal grievance process. A report may become a formal complaint, initiated either by the Complainant or by the University. At the time a report is made, a Complainant does not have to decide whether to file a formal complaint. The University recognizes that not every individual wants to file a formal complaint with the University or URPD, and individuals are not required to pursue a specific course of action.

  • How does the University respond to reports of sexual misconduct?

    When a report of sexual misconduct is received, the first concern is the safety and well-being of the student involved. The Title IX Coordinator can assist the student in connecting with medical and mental health resources, connecting with sexual assault support and advocacy services, such as Safe Harbor; implementing a No Contact Order; and assessing the need for supportive measures, such as academic accommodations or housing accommodations.

    The second step in the response is to ensure that the student understands their rights and options for filing a report with the police and commencing the formal grievance process or mediation process. If the student chooses to move forward with the formal grievance process, the Title IX Coordinator begins the investigation.

  • What options are available to me?

    If you choose to file a formal complaint with the Title IX Office, you can choose to go through the formal grievance process or the alternative mediation process. In addition to filing a formal complaint with the Title IX Office, Complainants can choose to report the incident to URPD for criminal prosecution.

    The University recognizes that the needs of individual students may vary, and some may prefer not to go through the formal grievance process. Mediation is available as a voluntary alternative method of resolving conduct incidents in some cases. Mediation is a voluntary, remedies-based, structured interaction, facilitated by a trained mediator, that balances support and accountability without a formal conduct charge against a Respondent. A mediation resolution is designed to eliminate reoccurrence of the prohibited conduct, and provide a remedy that meets the needs of both the Complainant and Respondent while maintaining the safety of the campus community. All mediation proceedings are confidential. Mediation proceedings cannot be recorded by the University or participating parties.

    If you file a formal complaint to initiate the grievance process, the Respondent will be notified and an investigation will commence. The Title IX investigator will meet with you, the Respondent and any witnesses. The Title IX investigator will also ask the parties to provide evidence which could include things like text messages, social media posts or receipts. Once the investigation is complete, the Title IX investigator will prepare a draft investigative report which both you and the Respondent will review and comment on prior to the final report. Once the report is finalized, a Hearing Board will convene to hear testimony from the parties involved including any witnesses. The Hearing Board will make a determination of responsibility based on the facts of the case presented in the investigative report and during the hearing. If the Respondent is found responsible, the Hearing Board will determine the sanctions that will be imposed. Each party has the ability to appeal the decision of the Hearing Board.

    If you file a formal complaint to initiate the alternative mediation process, The Title IX Coordinator will determine if the case is appropriate for mediation. In most situations, the University will be able to respect the Complainant’s decision to move forward with the mediation process. However, there are circumstances when the Complainant might choose to participate in mediation, but the University cannot allow resolution through mediation. Examples include situations where the accused student had been alleged to have committed sexual violence/harassment previously, or a weapon was allegedly used or that there were threats of future sexual violence/harassment.

    If the case is approved for mediation, the Respondent will be notified. Both parties must voluntarily agree to participate in the mediation process. The parties will work with a mediator to determine the outcomes of the mediation. In mediation, each person’s needs are central to the solution generation process. At the same time, each party learns about the other’s point of view. The parties keep control over the resolution and can explore creative solutions to resolve the conflict. The mediation process is less-time consuming, more flexible and does not involve an investigation into the incident reported. No witnesses participate in the mediation process.

    Once the mediation resolution agreement is reached and signed by all parties, the parties are bound by the terms of the agreement and the matter cannot be addressed through the grievance process.

    The Title IX Coordinator will maintain the mediation resolution agreement to ensure both parties are adhering to the agreement. If a Complainant or Respondent fails to adhere to the mediation resolution agreement, they will be referred to the appropriate Dean’s office for a possible violation of the Standards of Student Conduct and/or the Policy Prohibiting Sexual Misconduct. For employees, the matter will be referred to the Human Resource office for possible disciplinary action.

    Mediation agreements are final and are not subject to appeal.

  • Would the Title IX Coordinator initiate the grievance process even if I did not want them to move forward?

    In most situations, the University will be able to respect your choice and will not proceed with the grievance process. However, know that you can come back at any time to initiate the grievance process; as long as the person you are naming as a Respondent is a student or employee at the University of Richmond.

    However, there are times where you might choose not to participate in the formal grievance process, but the University will still move forward. These are limited circumstances, for example if the Respondent was alleged to have committed sexual violence previously, your report stated that a weapon was used or that there were threats of future sexual violence against you or others. If the University needs to move forward, you will be notified about that choice. From there, you can choose not to participate at all, or you can choose to participate at a later point in the process.

  • What is the difference between mediation and the grievance process?

    Mediation allows both parties to participate in the process and determine a variety of outcomes that can benefit the individuals involved. Individuals involved in the process must be willing to negotiate on desired outcomes. In mediation, each person’s needs are central to the solution generation process. At the same time, each party learns about the other’s point of view. The parties keep control over the resolution and can explore creative solutions to resolve the conflict. The mediation process is less-time consuming, more flexible and does not involve an investigation into the incident reported. No witnesses participate in the mediation process. Mediation is better than ignoring a conflict, as it helps parties find closure to situations and move forward with their lives.

    The sexual misconduct grievance process requires an investigation into the reported incident and both parties have to share their account of the reported incident. The parties may request witnesses be interviewed and evidence will be collected by the Title IX investigator. The determination of responsibility and if applicable sanctions, are made by a University or Staff Hearing Board. In the sexual misconduct grievance process, the University must adhere to the processes outlined in the Policy Prohibiting Sexual Misconduct, the Policy on Preventing and Responding to Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct Involving Faculty and Staff, as well as the Standards of Student Conduct. In the sexual misconduct grievance process the parties do not have control of the process, the determination of responsibility or the sanction.

    The Title IX Coordinator can explain your options in greater detail and answer any questions you may have on your options. You can speak to the Title IX Coordinator on options without sharing any details of the incident.

  • What is an advisor and should I have one?

    Both parties have the right to have an advisor of their choice present at all phases of the formal grievance process or mediation process. The advisor can be a trusted faculty/staff member, friend, parent or legal counsel. During a University Hearing Board (UHB), the advisor will be responsible for cross-examining the other party and any witnesses. If you do not have an advisor for purposes of cross-examination, the University will provide an advisor of their choice to conduct cross-examination.

    The Advisor cannot be:

    • A witness or provide evidence in the case;
    • An active participant in the University’s process;
    • An on-campus confidential resource (CAPS, Ordained Clergy, Student Health Center staff)
    • An advisor to both the complainant and respondent simultaneously
  • What if I am afraid to report because alcohol and drugs were involved?

    We know students may be hesitant to report incidents or seek help if they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs for fear of getting in trouble. If you have been sexually assaulted while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, neither you nor the friend(s) assisting you will be charged with a violation of the University’s Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Policy. For your safety and well-being, the University may initiate an educational discussion about the use of alcohol or other drugs and the impact they have on your well-being.

  • How does the University handle retaliation against someone who brings a complaint or serves as a witness in the Title IX Administrative Process?  

    All members of the University community, including faculty, staff and students, who have a good faith concern regarding possible violations of this policy are expected to report such concerns to the Title IX Coordinators.

    The University prohibits retaliation or retribution, in any form, against an individual who reports, in good faith, an actual, potential or suspected violation of this policy. As used in this policy, reporting “in good faith” means the individual making the report has a reasonable basis to believe that there has been or may have been a violation of this policy. Individuals who make frivolous or false reports shall not be deemed to be acting in good faith.

    Anyone who engages in or attempts to engage in retaliation or retribution against an individual who reports, in good faith, an actual, potential or suspected violation of this policy shall be subject to discipline in accordance with the policies and procedures of the University.

  • How do I file a report of harassment or discrimination?

    The University prohibits any form of harassment and discrimination based on an individual’s protected status. Any member of the University community who believes that they may have been, or knows someoene who may have been subjected to discrimination or harassment should report that concern.

    Report here.

    To review the policies related to harassment and discrimination, please click here.